Sunday, February 10, 2013

Watching other people play

I remember in my youth that we sat in front of the TV screen or the big old CRT monitors watching each other play games, mostly because we didn't have enough PCs or simply couldn't afford all the console ourselves, but also because we loved each others company. So with the consoles  we made a deal with each other, one of us buys Nintendo games and others buy Playstation and Xbox. Saves us alot of money and gives the console owners the "upper hand" in deciding what to play and when.

But Nowadays I can't stand to watch anyone else play video games, well, maybe except Zelda, Metroid and things in that genre. I need the co-operation in games, I can't stand to play singleplayer games alone, but I do love to play them when others are watching, makes it more fun. 

I love spending time playing with friends and families to try to beat the last boss, surviving the horde of zombies rampaging against us, or just simple kill other players and to show them how teamwork is done.

Let's make an example: 


Skyrim


Dont get me wrong, skyrim is a damn good game and it got me hooked for over 150 hours and I haven't finished it yet! The reason for that might be that I was never pleased with the character I've made or the fact that I just started to go randomly around and stopped playing for a while. After a while I return to the previous savegame and I got lost in what I was doing. Therefore I stop playing on that certain character. I need to recommend something for the game though, you got so many mods for this game. Enhancing the graphics, giving NPC's cloaks, Weapons, armors and even new kind of mobs! So thanks to Skyrim Nexus and Steam Workshop for making the Elder Scrolls World even more awesome! (I didn't think it was possible either!)


Sleeping Dogs



Pretty same as above, but there is a small "connection" between the other friends that has it, you got the leaderboard for the longest wheelie, most Roundhouse kicks 
(not sure if that's the name on it) etc.
The awesome part of this game is the combat system, it's not just the boring "punch, punch, punch"  type when you're fighting, there is combo's. certain people even have blocking, so you have to do a certain combo to break it. Or... if you're more of the gun type, just shoot!
Speaking of shooting, The combat system with firearms is also good, there are some flaws here and there, but overall I loved it to the bits.
What kind of a game is it? Well you could say it's GTA in Hong Kong.



Half-Life I and II (with Expansions and the episodes)


Yes, I know what you're thinking: "how the hell can you say that is boring to play Singleplayer? it's one of the best FPS games in the history!" , just calm down and let me explain myself before you try to torch me. 
I love The half-life series as the next guy, hell I might even love it more! But the clue here is: it's singleplayer. I love the story, I was entangled in it when i first played Half-Life in the 90's and Half-Life II in 2004. 
well.. mostly because it was a new engine and it was a continual on the great story of Dr.Gordon Freeman.



But wait! Here's the kicker!: I Can't stop playing it if I have one or more friends watching me play it, by that I mean sitting next to me or I am somehow streaming it just for those folks. This applies to all games that just have singleplayer. I just love the company when I play games, so that's why I always ask the question: "Does it have Co-op?"


No comments:

Post a Comment